Daily exercise is very important. We know this and we know we need to teach our children this, but sometimes those healthy habits are more difficult to instill than we think. If you have a child who does not naturally love exercise, you may need to take some extra steps to help raise children who learn to love it.
Are you wondering how you can raise your child to love exercise? While you might not be looking to raise the next David Beckham or Simone Biles, chances are you do want to raise a child who will grow up to be strong and healthy. Fortunately, there are a number of things you can do to encourage your children to love athletic activities.
Here are some tips on how to raise children who love exercise:
- Start exercising yourself. Your child looks up to you. If you express a hatred for exercise, your child will be less likely to want to do it themselves. However, if you show your child how fun exercising can be, they are more likely to want to do it themselves. Let your child know how much fun you’re having every time you participate in an athletic activity.
- Encourage your children to play outdoors more. During the summer months or after school, your child might want to do nothing more than stay inside and play video games or use their electronic devices. Instead of allowing them to spend all day on their iPad, encourage them to go outside and play.
- Help your child find an athletic activity they enjoy. Your child is more likely to love exercise if they can find an activity they have fun with. Your child might not like soccer or jogging, but she might love swimming and volleyball. The key is to encourage your child to try out different activities to find the one he will have the most fun with. There are so many different athletic activities out there to choose from, your child is bound to find something they will enjoy!
- Participate in family athletic activities. There are so many different types of exercise that you can participate in together as a family. You might consider taking a Mommy and Me yoga or dance class, for example. You can also incorporate exercise into your daily routine, such as taking nightly walks or bike rides together as a family. When you go on outings, you might consider doing something athletic, such as hiking, rock climbing, or kayaking.
- Encourage your child to participate in school sports. Help your child join an athletic club or team at their school or in the community. They’ll be bound to have a lot of fun exercising with their kids their own age.
These are just some tips on how to raise children who love exercise, but it doesn’t stop there. Following these tips can help instill a love for athletics in your child. Even if your child is not especially gifted in sports, you can still teach them to love getting out and getting moving. It is a healthy habit they will take with them into adulthood.
[…] you want to try and sneak some physical activity in there consider purchasing a Wii. The Wii comes with many games that you have to actually move […]