Teaching your child/tween to shop online safely is one of those skills that adults often forget kids need to know. We assume they know how to do it because it’s such a passive part of our day to day lives. Don’t leave your child’s safety to chance here. Follow some easy steps to help them learn while you can still guide them.
In order to teach kids how to shop safely online, we must always be present to oversee what is happening as well as offer guidance. If we want our kids to always come to us as. parents for advice, we certainly must let them always feel safe as they learn new things. Anything online has to be monitored until certain rules are discussed as non negotiable.
How to teach your child to shop online safely
- Teach him how to determine if the website payment portal is secure before putting in his financial information.
- Teach her not to give out her password to anyone as companies will never ask for their personal sign in credentials.
- Teach him how to search on the store website for what he needs and to be as specific as possible.
- Remind her to look at reviews of the seller and the item to determine the best person to buy from.
- Give him a prepaid debit card or gift card at first to use online so as to not link up your or their bank account while they are learning to shop.
Teaching your tween to shop online isn’t hard at all. She just needs guidance and practice to know how to order, how to pay, and how to return items if necessary. Things we all know how to do as adults yet we assume our kids know how to do as well. Set them up to be successful adults by taking the time to show them.